Today, as technology has brought the world closer to us, it has allowed start-ups and businesses to hire talented individuals from different parts of the globe. Several companies prefer outsourcing their daily clerical duties or software development requirements. One popular reason why companies outsource their requirements than hiring a team of in-house developers is that it helps save cost & time in both short and long run.
However, when selecting the best talent head for your company, you need to decide between onshore, offshore, or nearshore outsourcing depending on what suits you best. But what exactly are these outsourcing variants?
In this blog, we will decode the critical elements of onshore, offshore, & nearshore outsourcing to help you decide if it is the best option for your business.
Nearshore, offshore, or onshore: What to Choose?
Before we move ahead, let us decode the basics of these outsourcing variants.
- Onshore Outsourcing: In this case, outsourcing the software development requirements is done within the same region or country.
- Nearshore Outsourcing: Nearshore outsourcing refers to a professional arrangement with the outsourcing partner present in the neighboring country close by.
- Offshore Outsourcing: In this case, you hire a talented individual from another country that is in a time zone different from yours.
With software development, there isn’t a need for any in-house crew unless you actually want to. You can opt for far as well as near outsourcing countries to get access to a desired and dedicated team.
Now, let us check out the advantages that you get with each of these outsourcing variants.
Onshore Software Development
Also termed as local contracting or outsourcing, this service allows the company to access an opportunity to center on the core capabilities for software development. Now, there is nothing wrong with the desire to hire a dedicated squad that speaks the same lingo in terms of talent and skills.
Here are some benefits that come from onshore outsourcing:
- No particular concern in terms of cultural difference or language barriers
- Onshore makes communication easy, especially with conduct training or meeting
- Similar time zones make connectivity better with a faster connection
- An onshore team can also be accessed with a physical presence
However, if your budget is not high, hiring any onshore company might not be ideal for you. It would cost you a lot more than nearshoring or offshoring for the same amount of work and quality.
Disadvantages of Onshore Software Development
- Hiring talent in your own country could be a tad pricey
- Right talent or skill might not be available
Nearshore Software Development
This particular outsourcing variant is actually meant to build the gap between offshore and onshore software development. Nearshoring allows your company to hire a team that is located closer to yours, maybe even a bordering country.
If you fail to find a budget-friendly team in your country, or you do not have the time or patience to coordinate with an offshore team, nearshore software development can turn out to be the best option. It ensures that you can reach beyond your country while accessing the pool of available talent with significantly reduced labor costs.
Apart from this, here are some benefits that you might get with nearshore software development services:
- Differences in time zone are reduced
- Labor cost is less expensive as compared to onshore
- Minimal cultural differences that aren’t significant
- Possibility to visit the team while ensuring an effective & working relationship
Disadvantages of Nearshore Software Development
- Pricier as compared to offshore software development
- There might be issues with data protection or confidentiality
Offshore Software Development
With offshore software development, you have the world at your hand. You can access a pool of talent that is endless and select the best from the lot. You can select a talented individual or a team that is even located on the far side of the world.
By connecting with an offshore software development center, you can amplify your successful business and make use of the advanced technology, that too at a reasonable price. Offshore outsourcing is much cheaper than onshore or nearshore outsourcing.
Here are some benefits that come with offshore outsourcing:
- It gives you quick access to a global talent pool
- Get access to a dedicated IT group that handle your software requirements with a wider service range
- Easy to hire an expert team or individual at a lower price tag
- Assured work with certified and experienced developers capable of delivering work within strict deadlines
Disadvantages of Offshore Outsourcing
- A significant difference in the time-zones might become a tailback
- At times, you might lose control over the critical activities
- Offshore country work culture could be a bit different
- It might be tough to hire an offshore software production team
If you still feel that you can’t decide the type of outsourcing service you want to choose, here is a table that helps clarify things in a better way.
|Cultural Alignment||High||High||Medium or Different|
|Expertise & Skills||High||High||Medium|
|Time Zone Difference||Same/Low||Same/Low||High|
Depending on how you want to take things ahead, the choice falls down entirely upon you and your company. If the price is a major factor that might change the game for you, offshore software development is something you must try out. On the other hand, if you do not have the patience to tackle the time gap between different countries, you might be better off shaking hands with an onshore or nearshore team.
So, consider the benefits and disadvantages described in the blog above and make a wise decision for your company!