Chances are, if you are reading this, you already have a basic idea of what Agile and Scrum are. With the competition rapidly increasing, more and more companies are adopting the Agile methodology to cater to their customers. The Agile methodology is nothing but a series of iterative functions for facilitating successful project completion. Scrum is the said Agile process undertaken to deliver the best business value in the shortest amount of time. Many companies have incorporated the Agile framework in their organisations, and hence there is a growing demand for Scrum Masters. There are various Scrum Masters levels, and interested individuals can choose PSM certification based on their needs.
Difference between a CSM® and PSM™ Course?
Fundamentally there is very little difference between both the courses. They are both focused on software development processes. They both utilise the Agile methodology. Nevertheless, there are a few minor technical discrepancies between the two.
- Certification of Scrum Master is a beginner level certification, whereas Professional Scrum Master™ is more of an intermediate level course.
- CSM® requires a 2-day training period, enrolment into an institute, submission of assignments and a test. PSM™, however, does not require mandatory training, and one can enrol by purchasing a password from Scrum.org.
- CSM® test papers only consist of multiple–choice questions, whereas PSM™ tests have multiple–choice, multiple answers and true/false questions. Of course, since PSM™ entails more level of difficulty.
- CSM® course requires a minimum passing percentage of 74%, whereas PSM™ requires a minimum passing percentage of 85%.
- CSM® certification comes with a 2-year validity, after which it requires a renewal fee of $100. PSM™ certification comes with no such restriction and is valid for life.
- CSM® has only one certification, but PSM™ has three levels of certifications, namely PSM™ I, PSM™ II, PSM™ III.
Understanding these basic differences, you can make the right Scrum certification choice for you.
What are the perks of PSM™ certification?
1. Learn and upgrade skills
As a Professional Scrum Master™, you get to upgrade your Scrum skills and become an efficient servant leader. You get to lead a team of Scrum specialists to benefit a project, tackle challenges to guide your team to victory, facilitate a positive environment for good inter-departmental communication, and oversee an organisation’s whole Scrum process.
2. Be an expert in your field
Being a professionally trained Scrum Master, you will don a lot of hats. From a facilitator to a coach, from a business leader to a trainer, you will be the go-to guy for any Scrum related issues within the organisation. Overseeing a large team will only add to your experiences which in turn will make you better.
3. Career Growth
Being a lifetime member of the Scrum Alliance will open doors for your career growth. You get access to a wide network of other Scrum professionals, a huge selection of member–only resources, and benefits that are just not available to anybody. This certification will give you an edge over your peers and cement your authority as an expert in your field. Scrum technologies are reaching beyond the cocoon of just software development, and it only gives you chances to try other industries.
Choosing a certification is up to you. If you are just beginning out in the field of Agile technologies, CSM® is the best course of action for you. But if you have prior experience working with Agile or Scrum, PSM™ is a must–try. It will work wonders for your professional career and help you carve a niche for yourself in the industry.